Friday 31 May 2013

Another Birthday! Sarcastic Yay.


I have always been ambivalent about my birthdays. No, that's not correct; let me rephrase that... I started to become ambivalent when I discovered birthdays weren't just the one day in the year when dad gave us money to splurge big-time on chocolates, pasties and other goodies. That would mean my ambivalence started at about the age of 16 (What can I say? I'm a late bloomer).

Anyway, since then, my birthdays have been days I look forward to on one hand, and wish were non-existent, on the other hand.

I think the best way to show this ambivalence would be to highlight four major things I like about birthdays and another four I dislike about them. And, believe me, nothing spells ambivalence more  than the same items appearing in both segments; so, here goes:

The Likes:

1.  A Landmark: Birthdays are landmarks. They mark the end of a year and the beginning of a new one. It's definitely a time to take stock and then move on.

2. Corny Birthday Phrases: Yeah, you know the 'Send my slice of the birthday cake', 'Where's the party at?', 'Who's taking you out?', 'You don old o', 'Jungle don mature', et cetera. As recycled as these phrases are, it's somehow great to know I am on the receiving end of all of that for JUST ONE DAY in a year.

3. Contact from 'Friends' I Haven't Been in Touch with for Months (12 Months to Be Exact): Birthdays are days when many people suddenly remember you exist. It is kind of nice when passive or semi-active  'friends' become active for just one day.

4. The Gifts: This is not just material gifts (though I have to say that giant teddy bear I requested is still important *wink*), it's the prayers, the wishes, the texts, the calls (even the missed ones, aka 'flashing'), the Facebook messages and posts, et cetera.

The Dislikes:

1. The Pressure to Celebrate: There is definitely pressure to celebrate birthdays. Sometimes I just want to stay home and celebrate by having a quiet uneventful time, but staying home alone is somehow considered an anomaly.

I feel compelled to get the cake, the birthday rice and meat, the party hats, the painting the town red, the confetti girls, the limousine, the white horse, the unicorn... okay, I think I'm beginning to talk about a different ceremony now. Let's go to number two.

2. Those Corny Birthday Phrases: Yep, I do have a love/hate relationship with this one. Even though I use them myself and appreciate that they are used as fillers, they do get old sometimes, don't they?

3.  Contact from 'Friends' I Haven't Been in Touch with in Months: This is another one of those ones I love and hate.   Sometimes I think I'd rather have these fair-birthday friends (Get it? Fair-weather, fair-birthday?) either contact me  at least one other time in the year or just not even contact me at all.

4. Friends Forgetting My Birthday: Yeah, I mean even with Facebook reminders and all, some people that I would count as friends still somehow forget my birthday, there are others who wish me happy birthday a day before the date or even a month later without acknowledging or maybe not even realising their error. Seriously?

At the end of the day, I'll still have birthdays whether I want them or not; so, happy birthday to me, where's the party at?

No comments:

Post a Comment